Sunday, May 10, 2015

DIY Shoebox Caddy


I saw this project in Youtube and I can't wait to try it. I've also been thinking of a project I can do without having to use paint or screws like what we've been having in the office lately. One Sunday night and on-hand materials was all it took.



I'm starting off with an empty shoebox. I picked something that was fairly big since I want to put as much supplies as I can.



Cut off the cover. Keep it for later.



For the box, and using the long side, find the center and draw a triangle to serve as your guide. Do this for both sides.



Then cut like so.



And then, though this is a bit tricky, fold your box like so to form 2 compartments. Be careful to not rip your box and try to do it as neat as possible.



Tape down the middle to bond the 2 sides together. I also put tape on the edges to create cleaner lines.



Using the box cover, measure off the height you'll need to close the compartments.



I cut it to height and also cut the side where there used to be a flap (to lessen the thickness for when I attach it to its side). I also taped the sides for neat edges.



For the covering, I used craft paper. I traced the side of my caddy, then cut a few centimeters larger than it. I also sliced some edges prior to covering so the sides will fold easily.



For the front and back, I chose to use jute sack. I traced it again and cut about half an inch more.



Completely cover the outside. This process really depends on the materials you're using. I saw a tutorial using fabric, and others just used papers all around it. Just make sure to create clean lines and edges. I just used spray adhesive for the whole thing :)



I also covered it inside. Notice the booboo haha. But it won't be seen when it's completely filled with supplies so yay!



An additional option was to add a divider. With this I just used the remaining pieces of cardboard and covered it still with my fabric.



And it slips in nicely :)



And yes I cannot wait to fill it up!



I used tissue paper rolls to hold my pens. It's free and I think it goes well with the theme of this caddy.



To coral the paper clips, I used a DIY box made from paper and covered it with phone book pages.



So happy with this little project! I am of course thinking of excuses to make one again :))

No comments:

Post a Comment