Sunday, April 12, 2015

DIY Jewelry Organizer


I have been itching to organize our accessories ever since we moved in to the new house. We had those dress jewelry organizers gifted to us a few Christmases back. It kind of worked in our old house but we couldn't find a place for it in our new small room. It ended up hanging on a door, hung on the curtain rod. Yep, it wasn't  nice to look at. At all.


I searched the net for some inspiration. My brother used empty frames for his wedding's photo booth last December so I wanted to put that to good use. These were my pegs:


I considered nailing strips of wood to make horizontal panels where I can screw hooks in, or use chicken wire-like material (thicker and used in the kitchen) which we already had at home, but I ended up using scrap cork sheets, left over from multiple bulletin boards we have here in the office. I ended up using the following materials:

- old frame
- old poster (illustration board or card board would do, but I needed something big enough to fit my frame)
- cork sheets
- jute sack (or any fabric you like)
- spray adhesive
- big stapler
- cutter
- pen or pencil
- push pins

First is I need to make a base, something to hold the cork sheets since I'll be putting small pieces together. Also, to make it a bit more sturdy since cork sheets are too thin. I measured the inside of my frame and ended up attaching 2 posters together. I didn't cut these anymore so 3/4 of each poster is attached together, making a stronger (and thicker) backing. I used adhesive spray to glue them together.
 

Then I glued the 2 biggest pieces of scrap cork sheet to my base. It's as simple as measuring the amount of sheet you'll need and cutting off any excess. I used adhesive spray again to glue them. I was so pleased that it holds pretty well.


Since the cork sheet is really thin, I realized that the pins I'll use to hang the accessories will be sticking out at the back so I thought, I'll need something thicker. The remaining cork sheets wouldn't fit to double the thickness of the whole thing, so I decided to just put 3 strips horizontally and those would be the line I'll follow for my pins. I measured the inside of my frame and marked how much material I'll need, cut it using a cutter, and attached it using spray adhesive.


And since I'm using several small pieces of cork, I know I definitely have to cover the whole thing. I used jute sack I already had on hand. I totally covered it making sure I also line the sides of the small horizontal panels to make it nice and neat. Yes, I still used spray adhesive to glue the cloth and cork together. I love this product.

After covering, I inserted it in my frame and stapled them together. I just used an ordinary office stapler and it worked just fine.


And then yay! After this, I couldn't wait to fill it up with our necklaces!


I initially used white push pins but eventually replaced them with clear ones. It's so pretty!!


I just wanted it to be super simple because the necklaces will complete the look. Aaah I'm so happy. I can't believe I created something like this hahaha.


And now a super kilig before and after photo!


I think I mentioned in a past post that I've always wanted to organize and make DIY projects but although I'm able to get the function I need/want, I don't always get pretty results. I am so happy about this project because I think I actually made something pretty and I'm really pleased with it, aaaand I'm really proud of what I did. It's nice that when I walk in a room, I can see something that's really mine. And I think that's what's so addicting about DIY-ing.

Now the challenge is to organize all other accessories like bracelets, watches, and earrings. I'll be juggling room and office organization for now since we recently renovated our office (can't wait to write about that too aaaahhhh) but just the same, I'm sure I'll enjoy every bit of purging, organizing, and DIY-ing along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment